Hey there, Sisterhood!!
I hope you are all having a Terrific Tuesday. Here in Central Louisiana, the weather has been amazing!! With Easter just a few short weeks away, my mind is thinking about the season of Lent. I understand it is a tradition in other walks of faith, but I don’t mind a process of evaluation that intentionally causes us to focus or re-focus on the importance of the Easter season. Traditionally, the idea of sacrifice is at the forefront of this time of preparation and I understand the why. Jesus gave the ultimate sacrifice for all mankind!! We probably all know someone who has “given up” something for Lent. That’s not a bad thing. What I am most concerned about in this practice, however, is that our momentary denial of “things”, is somehow a way to please God or to appear Godly. Gals, that’s just not how it works. I am reminded that God prefers obedience over sacrifice (1 Samuel 15:22)-any day, all day. Jesus says it like this: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.” Matt 16:24 NIV
In light of those words, I want to choose to ‘give up’ some things in a different way:
· I give up high thoughts/useless imaginations and choose to bring them into obedience to God.
· I give up complaining/negative words and choose to speak life.
· I give up trying to do things in my own strength and choose to allow God’s grace to flow in the hard areas of my life.
· I give up the need for others approval and choose to let God be my audience of One I please.
· I give up any desires to compete against others and choose to focus on the purpose and plan God has only for me to fulfill.
Sisters, I’m giving up me me me today and I’m choosing to follow whole-heartedly after God. How about you???